21 November 2005

Why Fashion is Important to Me

On the most basic level, fashion is important to me because it makes me happy.

Among my interests are design and aesthetics, and fashion feeds both of these. I love line, silhouette, color, fabric, and construction. I love the look of a well-fitted garment. And I love combining garments to make a statement.

Fashion is my way of expressing to the world that I am me. I love that one day, I can "be" preppy, the next day sophisticated, the next day plain, and the next day glamourous. It's the easiest thing to change about your appearance. Plus it's non-invasive...a double plus on my list.

I find it intrinsically pleasing to dress up--and I dress for myself, first and foremost.

An added benefit, however, is the visual first impression that you give to others. It's been said that first impressions are mainly visual--that is, they depend less on what you say and more on how you visually present yourself. While I don't like this, my experience has shown this to be all too accurate.

Even when I'm shopping, for instance, I get radically different treatment from salespeople. If I'm dressed in flip flops, jeans, and a t-shirt, I often have to hunt salespeople down in order to make a purchase. If, on the other hand, I'm dressed in heels, a slim pencil skirt, and a nice top, I often can't shop in peace, receiving multiple offers for help.

Your thoughts? How does fashion make an impression on your life?

Trisha